Maintaining trailsDear Diamond A Property Owner,
One of the great things about living here is that we don’t have to shovel snow all winter. Instead, as spring follows winter, it is once again that time of the year for the annual ritual of cutting the tall weeds and grasses that cover the Sonoma hills.
As part of this community effort, we are asking for your help by cutting the grasses in the easements that affect essentially each property in Diamond A. Your adjacent neighbor is subject to a similar easement, resulting in a trail system that is available to the Diamond A community for equestrian or recreational hiking purposes.
As you probably know, there are a number of good reasons for cutting the grasses and clearing the easements. Here are a few:
1. Hiking, Horseback Riding, and Nature Appreciation. While horse ownership and riding in Diamond A may have diminished in recent years, availability of the trails is a historic and important feature of the community. They also offer wonderful opportunities (away from speeding cars) for walks, hikes, and nature study, but only if they are cleared of tall grasses.
2. Firefighter Access. Unimpeded access to areas between homes, or to portions of properties not on the main roads, can be critical to fire suppression efforts. Fires in light and flashy fuels such as dry grass can spread quickly; cleared trails may provide firefighters the quick access they need to prevent a small fire from growing.
3. Fire Breaks. At approximately 20 feet of total width, cleared trails offer an area of reduced fuels that may slow the spread of a fire. Shorter grasses may also be less likely to produce embers that cause spot fires under windy conditions, and may reduce the vertical spread of fire into trees and nearby structures.
What You Can Do:
As they might say in Texas, “Them weeds ain’t gon’ cut themselves.” So, until the plant geneticists develop a self-cutting grass, we all need to do our part. Here are some choices:
1. Cut the weeds and grasses in your easement to a height of 4 inches or less.
2. Ask your landscaping service to cut the weeds and grasses in your easement to a height of 4 inches or less.
If we all clear the easements along our property lines, we not only achieve the benefits described above, but we also show our neighbors, friends, and visitors the community spirit that makes Diamond A such a unique place.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Your Diamond A Trails Committee